Monday, March 21, 2011

Days 64, 63, 62 & 61 - Walking Weekend

I got a really good, hardcore workout in on Friday.

I started with Level 3 of 30 Day Shred, and then headed to the park to do a 4 mile run/walk. It was my first time running on an outside trail in a long while so I didn't know how I was going to manage (I tend to get shin splints - prob because of my flat feet), but I did pretty well. Ran a very good portion of the way; and, even when I slowed down to walk, I didn't slow down too much.

Later that day, I unintentionally got even more aerobics in...I ended up walking 3 more miles around Manhattan. And on Saturday morning, I walked for 2 miles in the Bronx. All this at a good pace with a hefty bag on my shoulder. Needless to say, I was DONE by Saturday afternoon. I used Sunday as a day of rest (exercise-wise anyway).

The burn felt really good at the time, but oh-so-wrong afterwards. Talk about shin splints! My legs didn't want to move! Between all the running/walking and the Level 3 exercises (I didn't realize Jillian was getting me to work those inner thighs so much), it was an effort just to move my feet.

But I started feeling better yesterday evening. I was up and at it again, bright and early this morning - well, actually, it wasn't bright yet - it was still pre-dawn. :-/

In a way, the burn still feels good because I know my body's changing; but I'm very aware that I shouldn't be overdoing it. Level 3 is so intense that I think I will have to do it every other day to give my muscles time to repair (unlike in Levels 1 & 2 when I was able to do it every day).

I will be putting those "off" days to good use however...Since 30 Day Shred is mostly focused on anaerobic, strength-building exercises, I'll do some yoga or cardio in between. I'll probably do yoga tomorrow, because my body feels like it could use a really good stretch right about now. I'm sure I'll be doing cardio most of the other days though. I'll keep you posted...

Oh...E made another scrumptious dinner last night. On the menu: steamed fish (red snapper and porgy) with shredded carrots and pumpkin, and sides of asparagus and callaloo. As always, we made a lot so that it will last us for the week. No "food" this time; but I did put two American sweet potatoes in the oven to bake. We didn't eat them yesterday, but at least they're baked and can be warmed quickly during the week.

Here's a picture of the fish. Am thinking about the left-overs right about now. Lunchtime is calling me! :)

E's Steamed Fish

No comments:

Post a Comment