Sunday, February 27, 2011

Days 84 & 83 - Beat the Fiber Bloat

Too much of a good thing can be a bad thing.

As I laid in bed last night, stomach churning, I wondered what on earth could be the problem. My stomach was SO bloated. Has been for the past few days. So much so that I've been avoiding taking/posting updated pictures. Then it occurred to me...I've been consuming way too much fiber. All the steel cut oatmeal and other things I've been eating has been way too much on my tummy.

When your system isn't used to processing a lot of fiber regularly, a sudden increase of the stuff can bloat you right up. All that gas rumbling in my stomach last night was courtesy of my new, fiber-fortified diet. Not cool. And not cute.

The cure? Gradual increase of fiber.

If you increase your intake of fiber little by little, your body will have a chance to get used to it. So I'm gonna cut back on the daily oatmeal and have it every other morning until my system gets used to the influx.

In other news, I'm busy cooking up a storm: pork chops, whole baked chicken (chopped), grilled chicken breasts, brown rice and spinach. There's a very happy man waiting eagerly to partake. :)

When we cook we usually make enough to last for the week. This way I can take a solid meal with me to work for lunch and have something lighter when I get home (something easier to digest before bedtime). And I chopped up the grilled chicken breasts so I can use it in salads during the week.

The battle of the bulge is not just about exercise and how many calories you consume. It's also about the type of foods you eat. You gotta be sure you consume the right foods to fuel your body, keep from losing muscle mass, and burn optimal amounts of fat. I'm trying to get better about all three.

What are your favorite healthy foods?

3 comments:

  1. My fav healthy foods are: almonds, almost any fruit (esp. berries), learned to love spinach (cooked up with tomatoes and onions). Little indulgence...smoothies...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I've gotten into whole, natural almonds because of you. :) Also got my spinach recipe from you too (only I add garlic). My next step will be to try making smoothies too.

    ReplyDelete