Thursday, February 10, 2011

Day 100 - Getting Started

I am so very serious about weight loss right now. I've been some version of chubby/overweight/fat most of my life and, right now, I'm over it!

I recall the first time I decided I needed to lose weight: summer of 19ahem-hem - when I was only 10 years old. A little young, ya think?! I can remember declaring to my friend that we should lose weight during the summer so that, when we went back to school in the fall, we'd be stunners, ready for the 5th grade. (N.B., Starting 5th grade was a big deal because it meant we'd finally be moving up to the upper ranks of our elementary school. lol)

Since then, I've gone through multiple episodes where I've lost and gained weight. I'm finally ready to lose it for good.

Looking back, I actually wish I could be at the weight I used to complain about. I didn't look too bad at all. And now, here I am, 20lbs over my "Oh hell no!" weight, feeling depressed and beaten down by this harsh NY winter...Something's gotta give!

So here's the plan: I bought Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred and 6 Week Six-Pack, and I'm starting with 30 Day Shred. It has three exercise programs (each increase a level), which you're supposed to do for about 10 days each. And they're only about 20 minutes. I figure this is a great way to start off. I won't get bored doing the same thing because I know that, in another 10 days, I'll be ready to switch it up. And at only 20 minutes, there's no reason why I can't get it in before work. (In theory anyway...I leave home really, really early in the morning.) Once I get through the first thirty days, I'll begin 6 Week Six-Pack.

To start, I'm not going to do a major/radical diet because I want this to be realistic. I don't want to finish my program only to gain it back again. I will, however, be eating better...putting fruits and veggies back into regular rotation. And less carbs/junk food. (I'm sure I'll be going through carb withdrawal.)

I'm also taking a natural nutritional supplement, called Nu Species. It's expensive, but very good. The last time I used it I lost 6lbs without even trying. (N.B., It is not a weight-loss product. Nu Species is a vitamin system in liquid form. I believe the weight loss is a by-product of it helping to clean out the system, enhance energy, and help the system to function properly.) I'm taking it again because I know my diet is lacking all the vitamins, minerals, etc. I need for my body to function at its best. This should help me up my ante.

I'm taking a bit of inspiration from the MTV show, I Used to be Fat. They use a count down calendar as motivation, hence my start at Day 100. Day 1 will find me right at my birthday in May. I think it's a great way to remind myself to stay on track daily.

While I've officially started my eat better campaign, my exercise will be moderate for the next two days (read: 30 minute walks). I'll start my dvd on Saturday when I don't have to get up before dawn, break myself in over the weekend, and push through Monday and the rest of the weeks to come.

My biggest challenge, besides waking up at 4:30 every morning? Cutting out cheese!!! I LOVE-LOVE cheese. So much so that, even though I've cut out milk because I believe I may be allergic to dairy (makes me nauseous and my skin breaks out), I can't let go of cheese. Even when I tell myself I'll stop eating it for a week, I find myself in the cafeteria, unconsciously ordering something cheese-laden, only to remember I wasn't supposed to be eating it way after I've consumed the guilty pleasure. So I'm gonna have to make a very conscious effort to stay away from the stuff. So far, I haven't had any since Saturday - a major feat for me. :)

Well, tomorrow's gonna be a long day so I'm off to bed. Bonne nuit mes amis!

4 comments:

  1. When I read the title, I thought you were going to fart this weight off. But I totally got it, after I read the end of your first post. LMAO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! Yes, I thought ppl might get a chuckle out of the title. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So after eating that absolute delicious meal last night that Earl made, I think that you should add a description of your meals or something of the sort. BTW, it's Minks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, will do. I'll try to include photos of meals, maybe even recipes too.

    Glad you enjoyed it! ;p

    ReplyDelete