Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Days 88 & 87 - Food Schedule

Level 2 of 30 Day Shred is no joke!

The first time I did it yesterday, I felt like the twenty minutes flew by - but I WORKED for those twenty minutes!! This morning, I was PRAYING for the twenty minutes to be over!! I definitely have had to do a lot more of the modified exercises at Level 2 than I had to do at Level 1. There has been a LOT of panting, huffing and puffing.

But I'm kind of excited by it. This really is a whole new level for me. Whenever I want to stop and pop a squat on the couch I keep telling myself, "It's almost over." Like my cousin said to me yesterday, "You've lived your life for ahem-hem years, enjoying all sorts of pleasures and indulgences. What's a few months out of ahem-hem years? It won't be forever."

I like the idea of pushing myself through the discomfort to see an extreme change. And I'm curious to see how long it'll take me to get used to these new exercises so I can ditch the modifications and keep up with the advanced version.

Level 2 features a whole new set of exercises. All the strength, cardio and ab moves are different. The jump rope move is included again, but at a higher intensity. The only move that has insisted on re-rearing its ugly head, as is, is the jumping jack, which is used to get the heart pumping during the warm-up.

Most of the warm-up and cool down moves were introduced in Level 1, with the exception of a new leg kick thing that seems to have aggravated some sort of pinched nerve in my leg. I plan on doing some yoga stretches when I get home in the evenings. This should help to loosen me out...It should also help to improve my performance when I exercise in the mornings...Higher intensity aside, my leg was giving me juice!

I've also gotten serious about my diet. I mentioned before that I would make some changes to my daily habits. Here's my new schedule:

4:40am   - wake up/exercise
6:00am   - breakfast
9:00am   - mid-morning snack
12:00pm  - lunch
3:00pm   - late afternoon snack
7:00pm   - dinner
9:30pm   - yoga/bed

Breakfast: steel cut oatmeal (flavored with vanilla, nutmeg and ginger)
Mid-morning snack: apple and/or yogurt
Lunch: lean protein, veggies, small portion of a healthy carb
Late afternoon snack: banana and almonds
Dinner: protein and veggies

I'll mix it up as I go along, but I'm gonna stick to this schedule for the remaining eight days of Level 2. My body is already starting to change. I need to eat in a way that will help it do just that.

Lunch and dinner will probably be interchangeable; but the goal is to eat a larger meal at lunch. Here's why:

1. When I wait too long to eat a decent meal I am more likely to forget my good senses and pig out as soon as I walk through the door.

2. I don't always get home by 7. If I'm starving, I don't want to eat a huge meal at such a late hour and then go to bed shortly after. Ce n'est pas bon.

3. Gas. Lawd! Mi cyaan tek when gas ah tear out mi tripe. Gotta eat regularly to avoid that.

I'm really excited about this phase. :) Have I inspired any of you out there to get moving or change the way you eat? Spring is upon us and, before you know it, summer will be here. How are you getting the body beautiful?

2 comments:

  1. Meal schedule looks fine. If i were you, i would probably keep a Fiber-One bar in my purse for the ride home in case you are hungry. You can also try adding a grapefruit in the morning with your oatmeal. It will help burn cals, fill you up even more & aids with "#2". you should do fine if you continue like that. Don't forget...water, water, water. Half your weig in ozs daily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great tips! Thanks!! I will definitely use them. Not sure if I can drink half my weight in oz daily though...My body usually maxes out around 6 glasses. :(

    ReplyDelete