Sunday, February 13, 2011

Days 98 & 97 - Weekend Warrior

I was pretty busy running errands this weekend (so sorry about not posting yesterday), but I was determined to fit exercise in - no matter what. And I did!

I started off with Level 1 of 30 Day Shred, just like I said I would, and I've gotta say I enjoyed it. The 20 minute workout consists of three circuits that follow Jillian's "3-2-1 Interval System." That's 3 minutes of strength training ("compound exercises" included), 2 minutes of cardio, and 1 minute of ab work. To do the routines, you need a mat and 3lb dumbbells (I used 2lb weights, but they're doing the trick - for now).

Because the workout is so short, it's really intense. Jillian wastes no time getting right to it. The compound strength training involves a lot of leg and arm work. I've never been big on doing arms, so it was a wee challenge for me, but just when I want to stop, it's over - on to the next move.

I'm very big on cardio - I think that's what I need most, so I was skeptical about only doing 2 minutes each circuit. But the moves she uses (jumping jacks, jump rope, boxing jabs, butt-kick jogging) really does get the heart pumping. My body felt like it was working.

The ab routines consist of classic, tried-and-true moves meant to target the upper, lower and side muscle areas. They actually felt good.

Overall, it felt like a decent, quick workout. If I had it my way, I would've thrown in 10 more minutes and up the ante on cardio. Still, as is, I think Level 1 will have an impact on my body. After doing it for only two days, I already feel a little more sucked in, tighter. I'm going to stick with it for the remaining eight days at this level, just to see what results I get.

I took some "before" pictures earlier today so you guys can watch my progress. It's getting late now and I'm determined to go to bed soon, so I'll post them up for you to see tomorrow.

Oh, and I should mention that I ate very well this weekend, particularly this evening. My boyfriend made some slammin' steamed fish for me and my friend, who brought over her adorable newborn son for a visit. I made sure to get in fruits and veggies too. And not a bite of cheese! :)

1 comment: